Your essential ultra-processed food update
What is the true health impact of ultra-processed foods are they the real dietary enemy?
What exactly defines a processed or ultra-processed food?
Should dietary guidelines specifically target ultra-processed foods?
How can we best talk to consumers about food processing?
And how is industry responding to consumer concerns about processing?
With the recorded package you get the science, commercial insights, future considerations and client education strategies you need to be informed to discuss ultra-processed foods.
1. Backgrounder on ultra-processed foods
by Matt O'Neill, APD - 5 Minutes
- Classifying levels of food processing
- Why a spotlight on ultra-processed foods?
2. What research & policy reveals
by Dr Julie Woods, PhD - 30 minutes
- Ultra-processed foods & your health
- Can Health Stars help identify these foods?
- How can we best classify foods?
- Future messages about food processing
3. Food processing trends & future directions
by Sharon Natoli, APD - 30 minutes
- Consumers' evolving definition of 'healthy' food
- 'Positively processed' versus negatively processed
- How food companies are responding
- The future for ultra-processed foods
Speaker chat - 15 minutes
Julie, Sharon and Matt will discuss the big issues and share their predictions for ultra-processed foods.
Dr Julie Woods
Dr Julie Woods, PhD
Grad Dip Health Promotion, Grad Dip Dietetics, BSc
Senior Lecturer - Deakin University
Associate Head of School for Teaching & Learning
Julie is a Senior Lecturer in Public Health Nutrition at Deakin University and the Associate Head of School for Teaching and Learning.
Her research interests relate mainly to mapping the changing food supply: the widespread introduction and consumption of ultra-processed foods and their effects on dietary intake and health; the introduction of ultra-processed foods aimed at the toddler market; the application of the Health Star Rating system; the role of Dietary Guidelines in shaping food policy.
She initially trained as a dietitian before undertaking further studies in health promotion and public health and a PhD in Aged Care Nutrition and Policy.
She has 35 +years of experience working in food policy and regulation at local, state and national levels. Previously she was the Manager of Nutrition and Food Systems at VicHealth and a lecturer for 11 years in the Nutrition and Dietetics Department at Monash University.
As an active member and previous Co-convenor of the Food and Nutrition Special Interest Group of the Public Health Association of Australia, Julie has a long involvement in public health nutrition advocacy and she has represented this group on numerous food regulation and policy committees. She was made a Fellow of the Public Health Association of Australia in 2017.
Sharon Natoli, APD
BSc, BN&D, Grd Dip Bus, APD
Dietitian & Founder, Food & Nutrition Australia
Sharon is author of Food for a Better Future – a new direction for the global business of food and is Founding Director of Food & Nutrition Australia.
She is an advisor to organisatons throughout the food system, an Accredited Practising Dietitian and has qualifications in business marketing.
For the past 25 years Sharon has worked with global and local food brands and producers, helping them build healthier foods and communicate with consumers and stakeholders in a meaningful and compliant way.
Her current focus is on working with her clients to prepare for the future by assisting them to connect genuinely and authentically with the emerging, more conscious consumer.
Who is this webinar for?
- Food marketers
- Public health professionals
- Dietetic Students
How it works
Purchase the webinar recording and receive instant access to download and save.
Watch whenever you like and as much as you like.
More than a webinar
Receive the recorded webinar, plus all the resources below.
Your value package includes
- Webinar recording MP4
- Slides PDFs
- Weblinks and references PDF
- CPD Quiz PDF
More from SmartShape
Click here to subscribe Matt O'Neill's email list for monthly articles, resources and offers on weight management tips, tools and training.
Add recorded webinar packages in the checkout or browse here.
Terms & conditions
Some important details just in case the webinar technology plays up:
- Payments are secure and in $AUD (includes 10% GST).
- You will receive a confirmation email and reminders.
- Tickets are non-refundable. If you purchase a $39 ticket (live + recorded) and do not attend the live event, you will be provided with the recorded webinar, slide notes, transcript and web links within 7 days of the live event.
- Content associated with the event (live presentation, recording and slide notes) is copyrighted premium content that must not be copied, shared or distributed.
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances, the event organiser (SmartShape Pty Ltd) has the right to change the date of the event before the event date and ticket holders will be notified.
- If any speakers cannot present at the live event every effort will be made to record their presentation within seven days of the live event date and you will be provided with the recording as soon as it is available.
- If there are technical issues with the live event associated with the GoToWebinar service or the organiser that prevent the event from being viewed by an attendee a recording will be provided within seven days of the event.
- Attendees are responsible for their internet connection, and the organiser cannot be held responsible for any technical failure from the attendee's end. If the event is cancelled a full refund will be provided.
- Information provided in the live event, slide notes, and web links are general nutrition advice and are not meant to replace advice provided by your health care provider. SmartShape Pty Ltd or the speakers are not liable for any claim or mishap resulting from your participation in the event, from the recorded package, or by your use of the GoToWebinar service. You should always seek the advice of your health care provider before starting any diet program.